Tuesday, April 15, 2008

sexual assault awareness month

My school has these thematic months where they promote their views on stuff on little picket signs that line the walkways. The theme usually corresponds to the time of year that it is. During February, they post signs promoting abstaining from sex (because of Valentine's day), During September, they post signs promoting abstaining from drugs and alcohol (most likely because it's a new year and people are adjusting to the dorm lifestyle or whatever). This month is sexual assault awareness month.

I don't really want to write about sex. Instead, I'm going to write about J-walking.

Let me explain. At another month sometime in during the year, the theme for the month is, "use the crosswalks!" The signs they post around say things like "Kenny died. He didn't use crosswalks." (with a picture of Kenny from South Park on it) or "Edna Parker has been alive a long time! That's because she uses crosswalks!" My favorite one is "Hi! It's me, the crosswalk. USE ME!!!"

For whatever reason, every time I see these signs, I have a serious urge to j-walk every street in my path. I really haven't figured out why. Maybe it's because I don't like crosswalks telling me what to do. More likely it's because whoever is in charge of these signs feels like I need to be coerced into doing things that I would otherwise do anyway.

It's like when you're about to clean your room by your own decision, and just before you're able to start, you mom or dad demands that you do it. At that point, you can take no credit in having instigated the cleaning of the room.

Not that it's all about credit or anything. I think it goes deeper than that.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I am Daniel! Mega awesome man of the state of Washington because im going there when I do that microsoft jiggy thing that i do

Daniel said...

previous comment was a friend messing around on my computer. Yes, I'm interning at Microsoft this Summer, maybe I'll write about that later.

The Venerable Monster said...

The obvious answer is because you're a rebel. You don't listen to the man. You walk to the beat of your own drum...yea!

rokkun said...

Have the crosswalks told you to do other things, Daniel? It's ok, you can tell me, I wont tell. On a completely unrelated note- you might notice some men in clean white coats walking up to your apartment, pay them no mind.