Monday, September 1, 2008

are we all in agreement here?!?

Apple claims that Mac OS X Leopard is the "world's most advanced operating system." Are we all in agreement about that?!? I mean... I know it's unquantifiable and therefore unprovable (and therefore also impossible to prove that it's false), but still!!! Does that mean that we're allowed to just go around making bold and unfounded claims about our products just because no one can prove that we're not wrong?

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm writing this blog from my Leopard boot on my macbook, and I have nothing against Apple (or Microsoft for that matter), but I really don't think the "Innocent until proven guilty" methodology is a good idea for regulating advertising. I think a more important freedom than the freedom of speech is the freedom from false information, and information about a product should not be advertised if it is obviously meant to lead people astray from forming rational opinions about products.

In short, I think most marketing schemes infringe on the inalienable human right of thought free from the bombardment of fallacies.

No comments: